What's up with Zines?

 A zine is a cheaply crafted catalog used to get an artist’s work and/or thoughts out to the public. It was really popular in the 1970s and became less popular with the use of the internet and blogs. I have just recently learned about them and am fascinated! When I was growing up I used to make little booklets, magazines, and handouts all the time for myself, friends, and family. I would even craft them when I had free time in elementary school and was so excited to show them to teachers and the principal. I find, along with others, an appeal in something that physically fits so well in your hand has things to look at and isn’t overwhelming with content. I used to have an American Girl book that was the miniature and summarized version of the big book and I loved it so much more.

When looking at zines, I found one that spoke to me in this current time with COVID-19. It is a zine made recently by a woman speaking out about the need for patience and flexibility with the virus. She also reflects on the frustrations and joys that she has experienced. I love the monochromatic color schemes on each page that make a rainbow to show community. I also appreciated her loose drawings and text to express her feelings. 




In order to fully understand zines, as a class, we are making our own. We are making them while reflecting on our manifestos. What is a manifesto? This is another recently learned term for me. It is a declaration aimed to reach the public and create change. In my manifesto, I focused on the concerns for the way school systems reach out to English Language Learners. Writing this made me reflect on the experiences I have had with ELL students and the need that there is for change.

This experience of writing a manifesto and preparing to make a zine to reflect it has been a good experience for me. If I had to share it with someone, it would probably be rural school districts like the one I came from. They are ill-prepared for students who need support while learning English. As educators, we have a big responsibility to invest in these students and ELL student numbers continue to increase.


Comments

  1. Great work Natalia, I am happy to hear you are learning so much from class right now. In your research, reach out to someone who has experienced school as an ELL student or a teacher who could share their experiences supporting students. Maybe even see if teachers will share how they wish they could be better supported or how the community could be involved to better support ELL students. You have an excellent topic and now push it further! I can't wait for you to be a teacher and share your passion for ELL learners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalia, I appreciate that you chose zines that are related to our current situation of COVID-19. It was interesting to find out that you were making zines even before you knew what they were! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalia, I agree with Elisheba's comment about how you were creating zines before you knew what they were. I think it is something that everyone has probably done in the past when they were younger but didn't know that it was considered to be a zine. I really like that you picked an example of a zine that works with the current issues the world is facing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalia,
    I love the zine that you shared. It demonstrates how someone can use zines to put their personal thoughts and feelings on paper and share them with others. Zines are a great way to express our feelings, and making zines is a much more creative solution to self-expression than taking to social media, or ranting to a family member. I love that the zine you shares connects someone's personal feelings and experiences with contemporary problems that everyone is dealing with right now. It makes the zine very relatable.
    You're going to be a great teacher, offering countless opportunities to students who need the most help inside of the classroom. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalia,
      I love the zine that you shared. It demonstrates how someone can use zines to put their personal thoughts and feelings on paper and share them with others. Zines are a great way to express our feelings, and making zines is a much more creative solution to self-expression than taking to social media, or ranting to a family member. I love that the zine you shares connects someone's personal feelings and experiences with contemporary problems that everyone is dealing with right now. It makes the zine very relatable.
      You're going to be a great teacher, offering countless opportunities to students who need the most help inside of the classroom. Great job :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts